KY Sierra Club Water Testers Needed!
Sierra Club is a member of the Kentucky Watershed Watch which works on water quality monitoring, skill development and advocacy.
We need volunteers to help our Kentucky Sierra Club (Cumberland Chapter) Water Committee do water testing as part of our Conservation work in Kentucky. If you are interested in helping us with our water related conservation work, and would like to learn how to become a water tester:
- Sign up for training with Kentucky Watershed Watch in your watershed area (see map above)
- Contact our Cumberland Chapter Water Committee Chair, Betsy Bennett, and let her know you are signed up to receive the training so we can follow up with you on our Water Committee volunteer opportunities.
About Training with Kentucky Watershed Watch
Watershed Watch offers training to citizens interested in water quality. Volunteers are trained on how to take a qualified water sample that will be analyzed by a professional lab. They are also trained on how to perform basic water quality field data, consisting of dissolved oxygen, pH, temperature and conductivity. Volunteers can also be trained to perform biological and habitat assessments.
Kentucky Watershed Watch Offers Training to Volunteers Who:
1. Live within five miles of one of the study streams, and/or
2. have a strong love for science, and/or
3. have a deep love for the waterways of your community and are willing to pitch in and work hard for their protection.
If you meet one (or more) of these qualifications, select the watershed you want to work with and sign up for training. Below is a general schedule for upcoming training opportunities. Sign up for a Kentucky Watershed Watch Training here: http://eppcapp.ky.gov/Watershed/WSWEventRegistrationFromOutside.aspx
April 12: KRWW - Lexington – 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
April 14: FRWW - tentative,
KRWW – Richmond and Whitesburg/Jackson – 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
TLGWW – Brescia University, Owensboro – 10 am – 2 p.m.
SRWW – Bernheim Forest (Garden Pavilion), Clermont exit off I-65, 9 am-3 pm
April 19: TLGWW Ky Wesleyan College, Owensboro- 6 p.m.
April 21: FRWW - tentative
KRWW – Midway – 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
SRWW – Anderson Co. Extension Svc Building, Lawrenceburg, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
April 26: TLGWW - Madisonville Community College, Central City – 6 p.m.
April 28: FRWW - tentative,
KRWW - Lexington and Danville – 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
TLGWW - Madisonville Community College, Madisonville, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
May 3: KRWW - Richmond
May 5: FRWW - tentative
May 12: KRWW Lexington
June 2: KRWW Richmond